Do I have to be a member to take courses?
No. Students are not required to be members in order to take a class. However, membership entitles you to the following benefits:
- Full access to our Library and Culturethèque
- Exclusive, members-only events
- Preferred rates for all our cultural events
Do I have to be a member to take private lessons?
No. You do not have to be a member to take private lessons.
Refunds, Credits and Course Changes
- A class with 3 or more students enrolled will open for the full 5, 10 or 11 weeks.
- A core language class with less than 3 students will be cancelled. Students will be offered either to take the class as a semi-private lesson (at the semi-private lesson rate) or to switch into another course.
- A class with 3 children enrolled will open for the full 5 or 10 weeks.
- A class with less than 3 children enrolled will be cancelled.
For private lessons, students must notify the department as well as the teacher at least 24 hours in advance to cancel a lesson. Students will be charged the full fee for lessons cancelled less than 24 hours in advance.
Textbooks for Adult Classes
Textbooks may be purchased online or over the phone with the Education Department or the Receptionist and will be mailed to your house as long as we offer remote classes. We suggest that you purchase your books in advance so that you may familiarize yourself with the learning materials before the class begins. Books are non-refundable once the mailing order has been sent. Digital textbooks are non-refundable once the code has been sent to you. Purchased lessons and credits are valid for seven years.
Level A1Required textbook: Edito 1
Beginner French 1
Beginner French 2
Beginner French 3
Beginner French 4
Level A2Required textbook: Edito 2
Advanced Beginner French 1
Advanced Beginner French 2
Advanced Beginner French 3
Advanced Beginner French 4
Level B1Required textbook: Edito 3
Intermediate French 1
Intermediate French 2
Intermediate French 3
Intermediate French 4
Intermediate French 5
Level B2Required textbook: Cosmopolite 4
Advanced French 1
Advanced French 2
Advanced French 3
Advanced French 4
Level C1/C2Required textbook: Tendances C1/C2
Proficient 1 - C1.1
Proficient 2 - C1.2
Proficient 3 - C1+/C2
Books and Materials for Children and Teen Classes
Books are not required to be purchased for Summer in French. For other books and materials for themed courses and classes for children and teens, contact the Education Department at 617.912.0415.
Class cancelation due to weather
Given our remote learning status, classes will continue to be in session during a projected storm. Unless we announce otherwise, please assume classes are in session. In the event of power and/or internet outages, here are some general tips:
- If you experience a power outage or a Zoom interruption at your home, please contact the Education Dept. via email: email@example.com or at (617) 912-0415. You might also want to be in touch with the teacher directly, to make arrangements to review any missed material.
- If a teacher loses connection during a class, please stay in your virtual classroom for a few minutes while the teacher logs back in. If your teacher is unable to make it back quickly, please check your e-mail for further instructions from your teacher or a member of the education team.