About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
Required textbook: Édito A2, 2022 edition
In this course you will cover Units 1, 2, 3 : p. 13-55.
Level A1-4 required or equivalent. In preparation for CECR: A2
Content you will cover in Unit 1: Nouvelles viesLearn How To
- Talk about your background; Express your intention to do something; Talk about your tastes; Suggest, accept or refuse an outing.
- The passé composé: use, formation, regular and irregular past participles; The negative sentence: ne ... rien/personne/jamais/plus, the place of negation; Time indicators: il y a, pendant, depuis.
- the artist Gaël Faye - the actress and actor Leïla Bekhti and Tahar Rahim - the heritage of Île-de-France - Les Francofolies de La Rochelle - the Saône, Lyon ; Les Journées du patrimoine Oh, the cliché ! - "The French are proud of Paris"; Gaël Faye, multi-talented artist; Francophone personalities; Some word abbreviations; Pascale Stöcklin, Swiss athlete; Les Jeux de la Francophonie.
- Life course: personal life, school and career, artistic professions; Leisure: cultural places, going out, outdoor and indoor activities.
- The sounds [y] and [u].
Content you will cover in Unit 2:
Learn How To
Je me souviens
- Tell a memory; Express liking and disliking; Ask about a memory.
- The imperfect tense: use, formation, verbs to have, to change, to move; The pronouns y and en; The place of the adjective.
- Corsican flavors - literary excerpts by David Foenkinos - Morne Brabant, Mauritius - Carcassonne, medieval city - cult objects from the 70s, 80s and 90s; What's the weather like? Oh, the cliché! "It rains in the north of France, it's sunny in the south " ; Expressions about the weather ; Souvenirs from French vacations ; A desire for freshness.
- Memories: memory, senses, souvenirs, qualifying a memory ; Landscapes and weather: at the seaside, in the countryside, in the mountains, the weather.
- Compulsory liaisons
Content you will cover in Unit 3:
Learn How To
Comme à la maison
- RDescribe accommodation; Rent accommodation; Express disappointment; Console, comfort.
- Relative pronouns qui, que, où ; Comparisons (with adverb, adjective, verb, noun) ; Conditions.
- student housing in France - literary excerpt by Virginie Grimaldi - Art Nouveau - illustrator Margaux Motin - urban planner Carlos Moreno and the quarter-hour city - intergenerational solidarity housing; Art Nouveau in Brussels Oh, the cliché! "The French life in houses in the countryside"; Types of apartments ; Names of the sofa; Victor Horta, Belgian architect; Habitat solidaire in Belgium; Neighbors in solidarity.
- Housing and renting: types and rooms, building/house, real estate adverts, fees and services, inhabitants ; Furniture and living environment: furniture, decoration, equipment, the town and the neighborhood.
- The sounds [j] [ɥ] [w]
The people in the class were interesting, hardworking and fun. I look forward to coming to class every [week]!
The French Library is an oasis of learning and culture. Nora is an incredible teacher, and the library has a wonderful collection.