3 hours per week for 10 weeks Starting April 6, 2023
At French Library
About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
Required: Beginner French 3 or equiv. Prepare for CECR A2
Required textbook: Édito A1
In this course you will cover units 10, 11, and 12; pp. 145 to 185. Please note that a CD player is needed to play the included disc.
Content you will cover in Unit 10:
Learn How To
"Beau travail !"
- Understand an exchange program, describe positive experiences, express purpose, describe a professional goal, indicate a wish or desire, talk about an ability or skill, understand professional tasks.
- Express a condition using si clauses (si + présent), talk about timing, use the relative pronouns qui and que, outline gradations of intensity.
- The French educational system at the university level.
- Talk about universities, college campuses, different domains of study; learn about the job market and the working world, work conditions, different jobs, and skillsets.
- pronounce the French “r”, the sounds [t]/[d] [r]: Atelier des métiers: voici le dossier à envoyer Je découvre un projet professionnel en Grèce [t]/[d]:Pour son diplôme en médecine, il est parti à Nantes
Content you will cover in Unit 11:
Learn How To
"Au grand air"
- Read a graphic novel about life changes, express dissatisfaction, justify a life choice, describe a way of living.
- The comparative with adverbs (moins/plus que/aussi), the pronoun y, contracted articles.
- Talk about the countryside, learn about communal gardens in Montreal and Switzerland.
- The city versus the country (pros and cons), life shifts, nature, pasttimes, flora and fauna.
- The sound [p]/[b] ; linking vowel sounds [p]: campagne [b]: beaucoup Vowel sequence: Mon appartement à Paris est aussi petit qu’un garage
Content you will cover in Unit 12:
Learn How To
"C’était bien ?"
- Talk about challenges, encourage and reassure someone, understand your horoscope, talk about a project, agree and disagree, indicate interest in something.
- Direct and indirect object pronouns, time markers, manipulating the present, passé composé, near future and imperative tenses.
- French music.
- Strategies for speaking a foreign language, the press.
- The sounds [j]/[w]/[ɥ]; [j]: payer; fille; [w]: loi; moyen; [ɥ]: huit ; pronounced e vs silent e: Je mange de la tarte aux poires
I thoroughly enjoyed my class. My instructor was fun and enthusiastic. She planned a variety of activities so the concepts were presented in different ways which really helped me learn. She was patient with my pronunciation, but taught me in a way that only a true native speaker could. Can't wait for my next class!
The class really gave us a good foundation from which we learned to communicate in French.