3 hours per week for 10 weeks Starting April 6, 2023
At Online via Zoom
About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
Required : Beginner French 2 or equiv. Prepare for CECR A2
Required textbook: Édito A1
In this course you will cover units 7, 8, and 9; pp. 103 to 144.
Content you will cover in Unit 7:
Learn How To
" Chez moi"
- Look for an apartment, understand a room inspection, learn about lodging regulations, draft a set of rules for shared living, apologize for something, talk about and react to domestic misunderstandings.
- Direct object pronouns, spatial prepositions, obligation and interdiction with the infinitive and the imperative, the pronoun y .
- Learn about French designers and a few traditional house furnishings
- Housing and lodging, rooms, furnishings, appliances, apartment buildings, making repairs.
- The sounds [f]/[v] : fête / vous and [b]/[v]: bal / val
Content you will cover in Unit 8:
Learn How To
"Bonnes vacances !"
- Make a reservation online, note your preferences, write a formal email, hesitate, compose a postcard, express surprise, positive emotions, and other feelings.
- Make comparisons using adjectives (plus, moins, aussi), learn the present of IR verbs (choisir, partir), the past tense with être, the imperfect tense with impersonal verbs (c’était, il y avait, il faisait)
- Learn about travel culture and different writers abroad.
- Trips, lodging, transportation, travel services, going to the airport, emotions.[k]/[g]: k cabas; archaïque; kelvin; Jacques; week-end; ɡ gain; guerre.
- The sounds [wa]/[we]: moi; loin
Content you will cover in Unit 9:
Learn How To
"Pas de chance !"
- Complain about something or someone, explain something (pourquoi/parce que), express a negative emotion, understand road traffic safety symbols, give and ask for the size and weight of an object, talk about how you feel.
- Use the past tense with reflexive verbs (s’amuser), express guidance, obligations, and requirements, (falloir, devoir), use the indefinite objects lui/leur
- Talk about good and bad luck as well as other superstitions
- Body parts, going to the doctor’s office, going to the pharmacy, talking about daily inconveniences.
- The sounds [ʃ]/[ʒ]; linking consonant-vowel sounds
[ʃ] : chat, chou, schéma, shampooing
[ʒ] : jeu, gymnastique
Consonant Sequence : Vo/Tra/Mi/Peut/Vou/Sai/Der
I thoroughly enjoyed my class. My instructor was fun and enthusiastic. She planned a variety of activities so the concepts were presented in different ways which really helped me learn. She was patient with my pronunciation, but taught me in a way that only a true native speaker could. Can't wait for my next class!
The class really gave us a good foundation from which we learned to communicate in French.