About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
No previous requirements. Prepare for CECR : A1
Required textbook: Édito A1, 2022 Edition
In this course you will cover Units 3, 4 & 5 : p.45-86
Level A1-1 required or equivalent. In preparation for CECR: A1
Content you will cover in Unit 3:
Learn How To
"Qu’est-ce qu’on mange?"
- Shop for food; Ask/Say the Price; Give an Appreciation; Ask questions; Order in a restaurant.
- Singular and plural nouns; Prepositions of place; Quantity not deﬁnie (partitives + un peu de/d', beaucoup de/d', pas de/d'); Verbs in -ir in the present tense (choisir, ﬁnir); Verbs acheter, payer, aller, manger, faire.
- French food shopping - Picknick restaurant (Grenoble) - Frigo Magic app - bistro dishes - Too Good To Go app Cuisine en fête ! Valence en gastronomie festival; star chefs and their specialties; Francophonie: Moulaye Fanny, pastry chef from Côte d'Ivoire.
- Shops, food: shopkeepers, food, quantities, means of payment; Meals: at home, in a restaurant, drinks, dishes, desserts, crockery.
- Vowels [i], [y], [u]; Rising and falling intonation.
Content you will cover in Unit 4:
Learn How To
- Introduce a town/neighborhood; Get around on public transport; Ask for directions; Understand an itinerary.
- C'est un(e) - Il/Elle est ; Frequency (1) (jamais, souvent, toujours) ; The imperative (être, avoir, monter, aller) ; Connectors (pour, parce que, mais, avec, sans) ; The verb prendre.
- Street Art Fest Grenoble-Alpes - Toulouse - Musée des Conﬂuences (Lyon) - Arènes d'Arles ; Un oiseau à Paris ! Paris, its districts, its monuments; Cities and districts (Djenné, Brussels, Tunis, Hanoi, Quebec, La Chaux-de-Fonds); Free transport (Luxembourg)
- The city: roads, parts of the city, places, monuments, people; Transport; Numbers (3) (100 to 1 billion)
- Nasal vowels [E-] and [A-]; Nasal vowels [A-] and [O-]
Content you will cover in Unit 5:
Learn How To
- Comment on a price; Ask about size and shoe size; Give an opinion on a garment; Situate a time in the year; Talk about the weather; Ask about the usefulness of a product; Describe an object.
- Gender and number of adjectives; Future tense; Place of adjectives; Demonstrative adjectives; Verbs vendre, mettre, venir.
- Vinted app (clothing) - La Malle française online shopping - Leetchi online kitty; Recyclons ! Mode recyclée (Kinshasa); La Textilerie (recycled clothing); Belgian expressions for the weather.
- Clothes: accessories, colors, materials; Weather and temperatures; Technological objects, everyday objects, characteristics of objects (shape, size, weight).
- Consonants [S] and [J]; Compulsory links with adjectives.
I thoroughly enjoyed my class. My instructor was fun and enthusiastic. She planned a variety of activities so the concepts were presented in different ways which really helped me learn. She was patient with my pronunciation, but taught me in a way that only a true native speaker could. Can't wait for my next class!
The class really gave us a good foundation from which we learned to communicate in French.