3 hours per week for 7 weeks
3 sessions: Starting June 28, 2023, July 17, 2023, and July 19, 2023
At Online via Zoom
Wednesdays & Fridays (July 19 - Sept 1), 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Mondays & Wednesdays (July 17 - Aug 30), 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Tuesdays & Thursdays (June 27 - Aug 15), 7:40 PM - 9:10 PM
About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
No previous requirements. Prepare for CECR : A1
Required textbook: L'Atelier + A1
In this course you will cover Units Bienvenue, 1 and 2; pp. 12 to 47
Content you will cover in: "Bienvenue !"Learn How To
- Introduce yourself. Greet and say goodbye. Communicate in class.
- The verb s’appeler in the present tense
- Should you do la bise? Or do you shake hands? What’s the difference between Tu and Vous?
- Greetings ; Introduce yourself ; Days of the week ; Colors ; Classroom instructions ; Numbers 0- 10.
- The alphabet, A [a]; B [be]; C [se]
- Sentence prosody: accent, tone, rhythm, syllables, and intonation
Content you will cover in Unit 1:
Learn How To
- Introduce yourself and someone ; say your nationality ; ask and give information (age, nationality, languages spoken, contact information) ; express oneself politely; fill in a form; present a French-speaking country.
- Subject and tonic pronouns: moi, toi, je, tu, etc. ; country names: le, la, les ; negation: ne … pas ; agreement of adjectives of nationality ; questions avec quel; conjugation of s’appeler ; être ; avoir.
- La Francophonie ; French-speaking francophones ; first names.
- Professions ; the alphabet ; colors ; numbers from 11 to 69 ; names of countries ; nationalities ; sensations : I am cold, I'm hungry, etc.
- The alphabet ; liaison ; syllable emphasis.
Content you will cover in Unit 2:
Learn How To
"On fait quoi ce weekend?
- Identify objects ; talk about interests ; talk about outings ; wish something to someone ; request a program by email ; prepare a film synopsis.
- The negation: ne... plus ; un, une, des ; possessive adjectives ; the contracted article and prepositions à and de ; conjugating Faire, Vouloir and Aller.
- Sports & athletes ; French people and leisure activities ; French movies.
- Objects ; Mais ; verbs of appreciation: aimer, adorer, détester ; forms ; sports ; places of leisure ; leisure time ; time of day ; moments ; ideas for outings.
- Un and une ; élision.
I thoroughly enjoyed my class. My instructor was fun and enthusiastic. She planned a variety of activities so the concepts were presented in different ways which really helped me learn. She was patient with my pronunciation, but taught me in a way that only a true native speaker could. Can't wait for my next class!
The class really gave us a good foundation from which we learned to communicate in French.