3 hours per week for 7 weeks Starting June 28, 2023
At The French Library Get Directions
About this Class
Our core language classes will strengthen your French through speaking, writing and comprehension activities while providing insights into Francophone culture. Our teachers and curriculum use cutting-edge methods and resources to develop your skills and confidence in French. With full immersion from day one and a communicative, task-based approach you'll gain the knowledge you need to embrace the Francophone world!
No previous requirements. Prepare for CECR : A1
Required textbook: L'Atelier + A1
In this course you will cover Units Bienvenue, 1 and 2; pp. 12 to 47
Content you will cover in: "Bienvenue !"Learn How To
- Introduce yourself. Greet and say goodbye. Communicate in class.
- The verb s’appeler in the present tense
- Should you do la bise? Or do you shake hands? What’s the difference between Tu and Vous?
- Greetings ; Introduce yourself ; Days of the week ; Colors ; Classroom instructions ; Numbers 0- 10.
- The alphabet, A [a]; B [be]; C [se]
- Sentence prosody: accent, tone, rhythm, syllables, and intonation
Content you will cover in Unit 1:
Learn How To
- Introduce yourself and someone ; say your nationality ; ask and give information (age, nationality, languages spoken, contact information) ; express oneself politely; fill in a form; present a French-speaking country.
- Subject and tonic pronouns: moi, toi, je, tu, etc. ; country names: le, la, les ; negation: ne … pas ; agreement of adjectives of nationality ; questions avec quel; conjugation of s’appeler ; être ; avoir.
- La Francophonie ; French-speaking francophones ; first names.
- Professions ; the alphabet ; colors ; numbers from 11 to 69 ; names of countries ; nationalities ; sensations : I am cold, I'm hungry, etc.
- The alphabet ; liaison ; syllable emphasis.
Content you will cover in Unit 2:
Learn How To
"On fait quoi ce weekend?
- Identify objects ; talk about interests ; talk about outings ; wish something to someone ; request a program by email ; prepare a film synopsis.
- The negation: ne... plus ; un, une, des ; possessive adjectives ; the contracted article and prepositions à and de ; conjugating Faire, Vouloir and Aller.
- Sports & athletes ; French people and leisure activities ; French movies.
- Objects ; Mais ; verbs of appreciation: aimer, adorer, détester ; forms ; sports ; places of leisure ; leisure time ; time of day ; moments ; ideas for outings.
- Un and une ; élision.
I thoroughly enjoyed my class. My instructor was fun and enthusiastic. She planned a variety of activities so the concepts were presented in different ways which really helped me learn. She was patient with my pronunciation, but taught me in a way that only a true native speaker could. Can't wait for my next class!
The class really gave us a good foundation from which we learned to communicate in French.