POSITIONGastronomy & Wine Program Manager
REPORTS TOPresident & Executive Director and Operations Manager
DESCRIPTIONThe French Library is looking for a Manager for its new Gastronomy & Wine program. In this position, the person will develop and implement a business plan for a gastronomy and wine education program, and manage the program.
RESPONSIBILITIESThe G&W Manager will report to the Executive Director for business purposes, and to the Operations Manager for operations purposes. Required Tasks:
- Develop the structure and activities of a gastronomy and wine appreciation program within the context of the French Library.
- Create revenue/profit models for each type of activity.
- Recruit and supervise teaching chefs and wine instructors.
- Launch the program, starting modestly and building it quarter by quarter.
- How to cook full meals.
- How to select/cook/prepare various individual items (cheese pairings, appetizers, amuse-bouches, plats (in English, “entrees”), desserts.
- Celebrity chef appearances: Once a year or once a season, a celebrity chef from France or another French-speaking country would give a week-long series of classes/workshops.
Wine Appreciation Activities Develop a curriculum of wine appreciation classes that can be repeated – some each season and some every 2-3 years, depending on the topic. The goal is to create, over the course of the first year, a comprehensive curriculum that will eliminate the need to create a new curriculum every year. Trustees and other friends of the French Library can be called upon to help in the development of a wine curriculum and, in some case, to teach wine appreciation classes.
- Familiarity with business planning concepts related to food and wine a must.
- Familiarity with kitchen management and regulations.
- The candidate will be reasonably familiar with French cuisine and French wines.
- The candidate does not need to be a chef or sommelier but needs to come with their own address book of chefs, sommeliers and wine connoisseurs in the New England area.
- Must have excellent customer skills and drive to sell.
- Must be creative, self-directed, and detail-oriented.
- Experience with managing volunteers preferred.
- French language ability is not required.
- The candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States.